The Heart of Hollywood since 1905
The Woman's Club of Hollywood was founded on April 15, 1905 - a year when the entertainment industry had not yet made its mark in Los Angeles and women still didn't have the right to vote. Yet 20 women - wives, daughters, and relatives of Hollywood pioneers - joined together and were passionate about contributing to the culture of the city.
Their first mission to create the Hollywood Public Library. They were also founding members of both the Hollywood Bowl and the Hollywood Studio Club, something of a dormitory for young women who were involved in motion pictures (famous residents included Marilyn Monroe and Kim Novak). From the beginning, stars such as Gloria Swanson, Joan Crawford, Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, and Douglas Fairbanks were involved in events at the Woman's Club of Hollywood.
In 1947, the Woman's Club moved a short distance from its original location at the crossroads of Hollywood Boulevard and La Brea to its current address at 1749 N. La Brea Avenue. This new location was also once the Hollywood School for Girls - another organization the Woman's Club supported - where industry giants such as Cecil B. DeMille and David O. Selznick sent their children to be educated between 1908 and 1932. Famous faces associated with the school include Jean Harlow who was a student and Edith Head who was a teacher right before she got her job assisting head costume designer Howard Greer at Paramount.
It's for all these reasons the Woman's Club of Hollywood is now on the National Register of Historic Places and a Historic Cultural Monument.