First of all, THANK YOU for your concern and support of Sly Park. Secondly, we apologize for our slow response to this tragic environmental event. As you can imagine, the Sly Park staff have been dealing with some real life situations and problems.
We would like to let you all know a few things about what is going on and hopefully answer some of your concerns and questions.
1) All of the Sly Park staff who live in Po***ck Pines have been evacuated and are safe living in other non-evacuated areas.
2) The Sly Park campus is currently safe. Fire crews have done an incredible job protecting Sly Park and the Po***ck Pines community with back burns and constant air support.
3) We still have some staff members whose homes are in danger so good thoughts and support of the fire crews and homes are definitely appreciated.
4) Our corn snakes Lucky Lou and Slither ( aka. Houdini, Sunshine, Pineapple) were recently rescued by the US Forest Service and El Dorado County Animal Control. They are now happily being hosted and taken care of at the American River Nature Center. Thanks to all who have helped us out!
5) A big shout out to US Forestry firefighter Danny Villa for helping us get the snakes off the Sly Park campus and to a safe place!
6) This is an excellent resource for current Caldor Fire updates: https://the-lookout.org/2021/08/26/caldor-fire-8-26-2021/
We hope this update has answered some of your questions. Please understand that at this time it is difficult to answer individual questions.
Thank you again for your concern and support.
The Sly Park and SCOE Team.